BetMGM Sportsbook Ohio – Sign-up Open for $200 Free Bets
Special Pre-Launch Offer! BetMGM online sportsbook is coming to Ohio on January 1st. Sign up to BetMGM Ohio today, and you will have $200 in free bets waiting for you when the sportsbook goes live. The free bets will be awarded as four $50 bets.
BetMGM is one of the top online sportsbooks in the US, and you will soon have a chance to try it out for yourself in Ohio. When you sign up with BetMGM Ohio bonus code PLAYBONUS, your first wager will be risk-free for up to $1,000.
This page will run you through how to sign up and claim that bonus, as well as other key aspects of the BetMGM online sportsbook such as:
- How to bet on all your favorite Ohio teams
- Easiest ways to fund your account, and how to withdraw any winnings
- Things that set BetMGM Ohio apart from other sportsbooks, such as its unique parlay builder, as well as some things we’d like to see improved
BetMGM Sportsbook Ohio launch
BetMGM Sportsbook will launch on January 1, 2023, in Ohio. You can sign up to BetMGM Ohio today to receive $200 worth of free bets when the sportsbook comes online.
The Ohio Casino Control Commission was able to issue licenses thanks Ohio House Bill 29 becoming law on December 22, 2021. This legislation allows for 25 online sportsbooks to operate in the state. It also allows for some operators to offer ‘second skin’ outfits – sites that use the same license but have a different appearance.
BetMGM was almost a lock for launching in the state. It already has a footprint in Ohio: MGM Northfield Park. But BetMGM sportsbook would likely have come to Ohio anyway, as it is present in most of the states that offer regulated online sports betting.
BetMGM Sportsbook bonus code for Ohio 2022
Note that this section outlines the typical BetMGM welcome offer. But currently you can get $200 in free bets just by signing up for BetMGM Ohio in advance of the January 1, 2023 launch date.
To claim the regular welcome bonus, enter the BetMGM Ohio bonus code PLAYBONUS when you make your first deposit on at BetMGM online sportsbook. Then, if your first bet loses, you will receive free bets equal in value to your losing wager.
|Ohio Sportsbook||BetMGM Sportsbook Ohio|
|BetMGM Ohio Bonus Code||PLAYBONUS|
|Pre-launch welcome offer||$200 (4 x $50) in free bets|
|Launch Date||January 1, 2023|
|Last Updated||November 2022|
Claiming your BetMGM welcome bonus
(Please note — the details in the following sections describe the welcome bonus that will be available after BetMGM comes online in Ohio. If you are looking for the $200 in free bets pre-launch offer, click here and sign up for BetMGM Ohio today.)
When making your initial deposit at BetMGM Ohio, you will enter the dollar amount at the top of the page. Then, right above the bright green “Deposit” box, is a bonus code field (you may have to click the arrow to open it up). This is where you enter the BetMGM sportsbook bonus code PLAYBONUS. Your deposit must be at least $10 to be eligible for the risk-free bet.
BetMGM risk-free bet details
If your first bet at BetMGM Ohio sportsbook is successful, you’ll receive your winnings in the normal fashion and the risk-free bet basically goes away. However, if the bet loses, BetMGM will refund you up to $1,000 in free bets.
Any wager of $49 or less gets one free bet equivalent to your losing bet. Any wager of $50 and higher gets five free bets, each worth 20% of your losing bet. Therefore, a losing $30 bet will receive a $30 free bet. A losing $600 bet will receive five $120 free bets.
Using free bets at BetMGM Ohio
First thing to note is you get exactly seven days to use any free bets. If you do not use any of them within one week, the unused ones expire.
You use your BetMGM Ohio free bet by selecting a wager, which will go onto your bet slip. Then you’ll see an “Apply reward” option between your stake and the “Place bet” button. Click on it, choose to use your free bet, and then place the bet.
You cannot cash out free bets or use them for any monetary value. You also will not receive your free bet back if the bet you placed it on becomes void. And the free bet’s value will not be part of any winnings. However, if your free bets are successful, the winnings will be credited to your account as cash to do with as you please.
Is the BetMGM risk-free bet bonus worth it?
Yes, BetMGM’s welcome bonus is worth it, as long as you understand exactly how it works. You do not receive cash back if your bet loses. Instead, you get free bets equal in value to your losing wager for up to $1,000.
As long as you’re comfortable with that, then BetMGM’s welcome bonus is a good way to get started at the sportsbook in Ohio.
Is BetMGM sportsbook legit?
Yes, there is no question that BetMGM is an online sportsbook that you can trust. Prior to receiving a sports wagering license in Ohio, BetMGM had launched online sportsbooks in no fewer than 10 other states as well as Washington, DC. And new states are joining the BetMGM sportsbook roster on a semi-regular basis, basically as fast as new states announced legal, regulated online sportsbetting.
So at this point BetMGM has been reviewed by numerous state regulators and been used by countless sports bettors. We are quite confident its a trustworthy site.
Ohio sports betting laws
While a few details are still in flux, there are a couple of conditions you’ll have to meet to bet on sports with Ohio sports betting apps.
- You must be 21 or older to bet on sports at any authorized sportsbook in the state. BetMGM will confirm your identity, as well as your age, when you sign up.
- When making any bets or attempting to cash out bets early, you must be within Ohio state lines. The sportsbook will check this via geolocation technology.
Signing up at BetMGM Ohio
To register for a BetMGM online sportsbook account in Ohio, head to the website and click the “Register” button. When the application form appears, you’ll need to enter the following details.
- Address (does not have to be in Ohio)
- Social Security number (last four digits)
Once you create a username and a password and submit the form, your BetMGM account will be active immediately.
Don’t forget to enter the BetMGM bonus code PLAYBONUS when prompted to ensure you receive your risk-free bet welcome bonus.
The BetMGM sports betting app
BetMGM’s sportsbook app is free and available for iOS and Android devices. To download it, head to the BetMGM website via your mobile device and click “Download for iOS” or “Download for Android” and follow any additional prompts to finish the process.
Some BetMGM sports betting promotions appear on the homepage of the app or website. To see all available offers, click the “Promotions” tab. Here is a selection of what you might find:
- Money Monday Club: While not technically a rewards club, BetMGM’s Money Monday promotion is close to it. Opt in, and every week that you place $50 worth of qualifying sports bets, you’ll receive a $10 free bet on the next Monday. Qualifying wagers are real money bets with minimum odds of -300.
- Parlay boosters: BetMGM also offers parlay booster tokens fairly often and even has a standing Parlay Plus promotion. The way the offers work is fairly straightforward: Place a parlay bet of at least three or four legs (it varies based on each offer), and the sportsbook will boost your potential winnings. The biggest difference is that parlay booster tokens allow you to win extra cash when your bets win. The Parlay Plus promo offers a free bet instead of cash.
- Insurance promotions: BetMGM has insurance promotions going on regularly, too. Most of them are sport-specific promos, and thus the offers vary based on the sport. For instance, NASCAR offers give you your stake back (up to $25) if your outright winner selection finishes second or third. Some NBA and NHL deals, meanwhile, offer up to $20 back if your moneyline pick ends up losing in overtime. Additionally, BetMGM has a parlay insurance promo in which it refunds your losing parlays of a certain length if you lose by exactly one leg.
- BetMGM promotion tips: Almost all promotions at BetMGM Sportsbook require you to opt in to them in order to qualify for the reward/bonus. You can opt in through the promotions page on the app or website.
Also, make sure you at least glance through the conditions for each promotional offer because many of them have wagering requirements. If you don’t adhere to the conditions, you will be ineligible for the promotion.
Reasons to choose the BetMGM sportsbook app
While there are multiple reasons to open a sportsbook account with BetMGM, here are some of the top ones:
- Rewards on top of rewards: Between the promotions and the fact that you automatically enroll in M life Rewards, which is the rewards club tied to MGM Resort locations around the world, you get frequent benefits for wagering at BetMGM.
- Easy parlay building: Winning parlays obviously is awesome, but sometimes building your own can be a lot of work. Fortunately, BetMGM has a parlay builder to simplify the process. You easily can shift between moneyline, spread and total bets and between sports, as well. On top of that, BetMGM has one of the best single-game parlay builders for the NBA and NFL.
- Live betting options: If you’re planning on betting on sports in real time, BetMGM might be the best option there is. You’ll find a variety of micro betting options around the clock, and the animations during games are great, as well.
Things we’d change about the BetMGM app
Here are the three biggest areas to watch out for and that we’d like to see BetMGM improve:
- Misleading odds boosts: Along the top of the BetMGM app and webpage, you’ll see special boosted odds wagers, some of which are parlays. Most of the time, those boosted parlays do have the best odds, but sometimes you’ll actually get better overall odds creating the parlay yourself. It would be great if you didn’t have to check that you’re always getting the top odds available.
- Poor betting defaults: When you open your account, the default settings for placing wagers at BetMGM are for $50 bets and to not confirm your bets before placing them. Maybe that’s exactly what you want, but we don’t think it’s an ideal default setting. You can change it to exactly what you want via your personal settings under your account.
- Glitchy app and website: The majority of the time BetMGM’s app and website work very well. When it comes to using free bets and parlay booster tokens, though, it can be troublesome at times. You should be able to access both in your bet slip, but at times you aren’t able to, which obviously isn’t ideal. Usually logging out and then signing back in fixes the problem.
Betting markets at BetMGM
BetMGM online betting has a variety of betting options. Here’s an example of a basic game listing at the sportsbook, followed by the main betting options you’ll come across.
|Chicago Bulls||+3 (-110)||Over 214.5 (-115)||+125|
|Cleveland Cavaliers||-3 (-110)||Under 214.5 (-105)||-150|
What’s the spread?
Point spread bets essentially even the playing field between two teams.
The Cavs are three-point favorites in this example (indicated by the negative number). Cleveland needs to win by more than three points to cover the spread, while the Bulls can lose by one or two points, or win by any score, to cover.
If the Cavs win by exactly three points, bets on both Cleveland and Chicago will push and the sportsbook will refund them. That’s why most of the time spreads and totals end in .5.
What’s the total?
Totals are wagers on the combined score by both teams in a game. If you think Chicago and Cleveland will combine for more than 214.5 points, you would place a wager on over. And if Cleveland wins 115-110, your bet would win.
How does the moneyline work?
If you bet moneyline, you are betting on a team to win a game straight up. The moneyline odds tell you how much you’ll win if you’re right. Odds of -150 mean you’ll need to wager $150 to make a profit of $100. Odds of +125 mean a correct $100 bet will see you make a net profit of $125. The same goes for the odds in parentheses for the other wagers.
What is prop betting?
Prop is short for proposition, and these wagers are basically side bets you make on games. Props can have to do with a player’s stat line (Will Collin Sexton have over/under 22.5 points?), a team’s performance (Which team will score 20 points first?) or the game as a whole (While it go to overtime?).
Futures betting options at BetMGM
A futures bet is more of a long-term wager. Common futures are for a team to win a championship or a player to win a postseason or regular season MVP award. When you click on a specific league at BetMGM, you’ll see a header for futures. Clicking it will show you all the available futures bets for that league.
Parlays and round robins
Both of these wagers allow you to group single bets together, with the benefit being increased odds and increased potential payouts. For parlays, you must get each one of your selections correct to win. It doesn’t matter if you build a 10-leg parlay and get nine selections correct; if the 10th one is wrong, your parlay loses.
Round robins, meanwhile, offer lower odds but they group the bets so you can still win some money if you don’t get every single one right.
Live betting at BetMGM
BetMGM has one of the premier live betting setups that you’ll find at any Ohio sportsbook. Start by clicking the “Live” header and then you can select from multiple games that are taking place at that very minute.
Live betting allows you to go from a passive to active sports watcher. BetMGM updates sports betting odds in real time, allowing you to bet on games based on what’s happening. If you’re not able to watch a game, BetMGM usually has an animation and stats to help keep you fairly well informed with what’s going on.
Betting on the Columbus Blue Jackets at BetMGM?
Yes, BetMGM has betting options for all NHL regular season and postseason games, including updated Blue Jacket game odds. In addition to all of the wagers we just went through, here are some additional ones you may find for hockey.
- Three-way moneyline: The three-way moneyline is a bet that enables you to wager on either team leading at the end of regulation or the score being tied. You’ll get better odds for picking a team to win than you would with the regular moneyline, but remember, if the game is tied after 60 minutes, your bet will lose even if that team goes on to win in overtime.
- Winning margin: Bet on exactly how much one team will win by. For instance, you could pick the Blue Jackets to win by exactly one, two, three or four goals, or by five goals or more.
- Correct score: Not only can you bet on the correct score for the game, but at BetMGM you can also bet on the correct score for each period.
- Game props: BetMGM has a variety of game props. There are bets on which period will have the most goals, when the game’s first goal will be scored, or whether both teams will score at least three goals.
- Goal scorers: Bet on a player to score the game’s first goal, the game’s last goal or a goal at any point during a game.
Banking at BetMGM
BetMGM has some of the most extensive options for depositing and withdrawing funds that you’ll find at any sportsbook in the state.
One thing to keep in mind, though, is that to withdraw money you must use a deposit method that you’ve used within the previous 180 days. If you haven’t deposited money at BetMGM recently, you might have to make a small deposit before withdrawing whatever amount you want.
Lastly, while the processing time for withdrawals at BetMGM can take up to five days, it typically is much speedier than that.
All the following deposit methods are near instant, with minimum typically being $10. One exception is wire transfers, which need to be at least $50:
- Visa, Mastercard, Discover (credit or debit cards)
- ACH (e-check)
- Online Bank Transfer
- Bank Wire Transfer
- Play+ Prepaid Card
Withdrawals can take up to five days to process. Minimums are normally $10 here as well, although e-checks don’t start until $500:
- ACH (c-check)
- Online Bank Transfer
- Play+ Prepaid Card
BetMGM Sportsbook customer support
If you encounter any issues at BetMGM, you can reach out to a customer service representative 24/7. Prior to going that route, though, you may want to try the FAQ. Often you’ll be able to solve the problem yourself with relative ease.
If that doesn’t work, you’ll have the choice to start a live chat, send an email or check out more BetMGM help pages. If it’s not a pressing matter, the email option works well. And lastly, you also can request a call back from a BetMGM agent.
Responsible gaming at BetMGM Ohio
If you want to set limits on your BetMGM account or exclude yourself completely, you can do so directly from the BetMGM app and/or website.
Start by logging in, then click “My Account” at the top of the screen. Next select “My Account” a second time, followed by “Settings” and then “Responsible Gaming.” That will bring up your options:
- Responsible gambling limits: Here you can put restrictions in place on how much you are able to deposit or lose, or how much time you can be logged into BetMGM.
- Limits history: This shows previous limits that you’ve placed on your account.
- Self-exclusion: If you choose this option, you will no longer be able to play for real or play money at BetMGM, make deposits, change the info on your personal details page or receive bonus or promotional emails.
Can I bet at BetMGM Sportsbook in person in Ohio?
You cannot. BetMGM doesn’t have a retail sportsbook in the Buckeye State at this time. If it announces plans for one, this will of course change.
BetMGM vs Ohio sportsbooks?
BetMGM ranks among the top online sportsbooks in Ohio. While both DraftKings and FanDuel Sportsbook may be slightly ahead of BetMGM, if that’s the case, it’s not by much. Likewise, we consider the BetMGM Ohio betting app to be just slightly better than fellow competitors Caesars and PointsBet Sportsbook. Whether you plan on having one or multiple sportsbook accounts, BetMGM is one that you may want to consider.
BetMGM Ohio FAQ
Yes, sign up for your new BetMGM Sportsbook Ohio account before the sportsbook comes online on January 1, and you will receive $200 in free bets (4 x $50 bets).
Enter the BetMGM sportsbook bonus code PLAYBONUS for a risk-free first bet up to $1,000. If you first bet loses, you’ll receive free bets equal in value to your losing wager, up to the maximum.
BetMGM’s minimum deposit is $10. You can use a credit or debit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover), e-check, online bank transfer, PayPal, a Play+ prepaid debit card or PayWithCash.
MGM Resorts International owns and operates the online sportsbook. It also owns 30 properties around the world, and the number continues to grow. The first BetMGM online sportsbook opened in 2018 in New Jersey. Since then, it has launched in at least 10 other states and Washington, DC.
You don’t. In order to bet with BetMGM, you must be in a state where the online sportsbook is legal. If you’re in Ohio, or another state where BetMGM is legal, you can wager. Otherwise, you won’t be able to.
No, BetMGM won’t charge you a fee when you withdraw funds, though the financial institution you use to make the transaction might, so it’s worth checking before you make a withdrawal.