Managing Editor, PlayOhio
Danny Cross is the managing editor of PlayOhio, where he covers the Ohio sports betting and casino industries, including the latest news on Ohio sportsbooks and responsible gambling in the state.
Cross joined PlayOhio from Pro Football Focus, where he wrote and edited articles on the NFL, fantasy football and betting.
Must read Ohio sports betting articles by Danny Cross
Danny Cross’ work in the media
Ohio sports betting revenue: REPORT: Ohio will miss out on millions if sports betting isn’t up by NFL season
Ohio casinos and racinos: Local racinos apply to start sports gambling Jan. 1
Sports betting launch date: Ohio sports betting to start in 2023
Ohio’s $1 billion sports betting launch in January exceeded expectations. One billion dollars is a huge amount of money, but that’s only a bit more than we were expecting at PlayOhio, as Ohio sports fans have been waiting years for this and the build-up to a strong market was a long one. Ohio has provided the framework for a market that will be a strong one for years to come, and regulators have done a great job to ensure a great first month of sports betting.
Ohio’s recently passed tax rate increase on sports betting revenue should not drastically affect the market. Ohio’s initial 10% tax rate was on the low end for U.S. states, and the new 20% rate would be more in line with industry norms. Ohio is still a new and growing market, and sportsbooks are still angling for market share, so this change is unlikely to affect customers or advertising budgets.
Posts by Danny Cross:
- Fanatics Sportsbook Is Up And Running In Ohio With A Sleek New Platform, 16 Aug 2023
- 6 Thoughts After 6 Months: Could Ohio Bet $8B This Year?, 01 Aug 2023
- So What Is It With Cincinnati And Baseball Betting Scandals?, 25 Jul 2023
- The Curious Case Of Ohio’s Ever-Evolving Sports Betting Tax Rate, 11 Jul 2023
- For Fanatics To Justify PointsBet Price, It Will Need To Invest In Ohio, 29 Jun 2023
- Starved For Cash, Ohio Already Wants To Double Sports Betting Tax Rate, 23 Jun 2023
- We’re Entering A Cincinnati Sports Golden Era, And Elly De La Cruz Is The Newest King, 14 Jun 2023
- Here Is How Ohio Sports Bettors Are Doing 4 Months In Compared To Other States, 02 Jun 2023
- April Pushes Ohio Sports Betting Past $3 Billion In 2023 Bets, Top 3 US Rank In Play, 31 May 2023
- Cincinnati Baseball Coaches Axed Amid Potential Gambling Investigation, 25 May 2023