MGM Northfield Park Racino
MGM Northfield Park is a premium award-winning racino in Ohio, previously known as Hard Rock Rocksino Northfield Park. However, in 2019, when MGM Resorts International assumed operating control of the property, it changed the name to MGM Northfield Park.
The racino is located at the famous Northfield Park racing ground, home to over 200 1/2-mile standardbred harness races per year. It is within 20 miles of both Cleveland and Akron, making it easy for residents of both to reach it within 30 minutes or so.
In terms of sheer size, MGM Northfield Park has met the expectations that come with the name. It offers more than 2,000 video lottery terminals across 200,000 square feet of space, though it doesn’t have any live or electronic table games or poker tables. Casino goers who use their M life Rewards card at any of the machines can accumulate points and redeem them for free play, discounts and meals at the casino’s restaurants and bars, and other benefits.
In addition to slots and racing, MGM Northfield Park hosts various events, musical acts and comedy shows at its 1,820-seat Center Stage venue. All of MGM Northfield Park’s gambling and entertainment options are open to customers who are 21 and older.
MGM Northfield Park
- Address: 10777 Northfield Road, Northfield, Ohio
- Phone number: 330-908-7625
- Hours of operation: 24/7
- Available games: VLT machines, live racing
of Gold Coins for $10
Ohio Casinos in the News
The casino at MGM Northfield Park
MGM Northfield Park is situated in northeast Ohio, 20 miles south of Cleveland and 20 miles north of Akron. Since the casino is a part of the celebrated Northfield Park racing ground, you can count on plenty of free parking options.
With more than 2,000 VLTs, MGM Northfield Park is among the most versatile racinos in the Buckeye State. The high limit area offers special benefits for high rollers. The nonsmoking high limit room and the high limit smoking patio share around 70 games, some with jackpots ranging well over $250,000. You can also access a VIP bar and specialized cashier windows offering lines of credit, check cashing, front money, credit card advances and other forms of payment.
Additionally, players can access over 240 of the most popular video lottery terminals in three air-conditioned and smoke-friendly outdoor patios in MGM Northfield Park casino near the north and south entrances. The area has 8,000 square feet of space and full beverage service.
MGM Northfield Park is all about top-quality VLTs, with titles from leading casino developers such as Aristocrat and IGT. The varied selection of machines at MGM Northfield Park includes the classic three-reel machines with only a few paylines, modern video machines with elaborate bonuses, and progressive jackpot machines whose prize pots increase with each pull of the lever.
The denomination options are equally as diverse as the choice of games. There are plenty of nickel machines and those where each bet can be for $1, $5, $25 or even $100, especially if you find yourself in the high limit room. Here are some of the most popular slots at MGM Northfield Park:
- Ultra Hot Mega Link — This progressive jackpot slot is part of a new series by Scientific Games that offers players themes from locales like the Amazon or India and exciting gameplay options. Like in the Ultimate Fire Link games, you can trigger the famed Fire Link Feature with at least four fireball symbols. You will receive three free spins to start the feature, and with each new fireball, you’ll reset the free spins and start again. Fireballs have a sticky feature, meaning they remain in place throughout the free spins to improve your odds of scoring big wins. Look out for the Ultra Hot fireball symbols, as these can help you win one of the five jackpots in the game.
- Money Link: Egyptian Riches — This slot brings you to the land of the desert, mystery and pharaohs. This is another of SG Gaming’s successful slots, with a standard five-by-three layout and three levels of progressive jackpots that you can win through the Money Link feature. Six lucky ancient symbols in the base game can either grant you a credit prize win or one of the jackpots. There is also a free games bonus you trigger with at least three bonus symbols on the grid. During the eight free spins, the golden door symbol that lands on the reels will remain sticky throughout the spins and improve your chances of scoring big.
- Rakin’ Bacon — Rakin’ Bacon is a pig-themed slot from AGS with 234 paylines and five reels. The game features a proprietary PowerXStream evaluation method that maximizes the number of ways to win by evaluating the possible awards based on the number of symbols in any position. Players can also select three sets of free spins once they trigger the bonus. The bacon in the Rakin’ Bacon slot game starts to sizzle the most when a wild symbol lands on the reels. The pick bonus allows you to pick symbols until you get three matching progressive jackpot ones, leading to some hefty payouts.
Table games and poker
Since MGM Northfield Park is a racino, it can’t offer table games, electronically or otherwise, according to state law. The Ohio Lottery Commission is in charge of overseeing and licensing the gambling activities at racinos. It has yet to authorize table games such as roulette, blackjack, poker, etc.
MGM Northfield Park racebook
The Northfield Park racing track dates back to the 1930s, representing one of the most significant tracks in the area. These days, it offers over 200 nights of racing per year. You can place bets on horses in the Ohio Sires Stakes, Battle of Lake Erie, Cleveland Trotting Classic and simulcast races from throughout North America and Australia.
MLife Rewards program
MLife Rewards is one of the top loyalty programs in the casino world. Every bet on slots will bring you some points and tier credits at MGM Northfield Park. There are five tiers in the M life Rewards program, and each requires a specific number of credits:
- Sapphire — up to 24,999 tier credits
- Pearl — 25,000 to 74,999 tier credits
- Gold — 75,000 to 199,999 tier credits
- Platinum — 200,000+ tier credits
- Noir — by invitation only
The higher the tier, the better the rewards. Some of the perks include free play, discounts on food and shopping, access to the high limit bar, an extended expiration date on the tier points, dedicated reservation lines and invitations to exclusive events.
Will MGM Northfield Park operate a sportsbook?
Sports betting is on the cusp of becoming available across Ohio. Lawmakers have already passed House Bill 29, which legalizes all forms of sports wagering in Ohio at both retail sportsbooks and online betting sites. The activity will begin in the Buckeye State no later than January 2023.
As one of the biggest racinos in the state with years of experience in live and simulcast horse betting, MGM Northfield Park is likely to be among the first wave of locations looking to offer a sports betting lounge. Regardless of its timing, it’s hard to imagine that a sportsbook at Northfield Park isn’t in the plans.
More Ohio casinos
MGM Northfield Park history and ownership
MGM Northfield Park in Ohio is a part of the Northfield Park racetrack, constructed in 1934 as a car racing venue. In 1956, it became a harness racing track, home to top races such as the Battle of Lake Erie.
In 2009, Ohio allowed racetracks to install up to 2,000 video lottery terminals, following rules drawn up by the Ohio State Racing Commission. Northfield Park added a group of machines that same year.
In 2013, Northfield Park became known as Hard Rock Rocksino Northfield Park, under the management of Hard Rock International. In 2018, Milstein Entertainment, the corporation behind Northfield Park, sold the facility to MGM Growth Properties, but Hard Rock still handled the racino’s operations. Then, in 2019, MGM Resorts International acquired the business from MGM Growth Properties and rebranded the venue as MGM Northfield Park.
Responsible gambling programs for Ohioans
- As the state’s gambling authority, it delivers resources to encourage responsible gambling.
Detailed information about the Ohio Voluntary Exclusion Program is available.
It offers access to vital mental health resources.
There’s a self-evaluation questionnaire to assist individuals in identifying gambling problems.
Details on facilities that provide problem gambling treatment in Ohio are listed.
Contact details for state and national gambling helplines are shared.
- This nonprofit, operating under the National Council on Problem Gambling, advocates for responsible gambling practices.
It provides treatment services tailored for individuals battling gambling-related issues.
PGNO organizes webinars and professional seminars to promote continuous learning for professionals in the field of problem gambling treatment.