Jack Thistledown Racino
The JACK Thistledown Racino is a horse racing and gambling facility on the outskirts of Cleveland. It is operated by Ohio-based gaming company JACK Entertainment.
The venue hosts live thoroughbred and simulcast horse racing. Its most notable race is the Ohio Derby. The casino’s 57,000-square-foot gambling floor houses roughly 1,400 video lottery terminals. It also has six bars and restaurants with diverse menus.
JACK Thistledown Racino
- Address: 21501 Emery Road, North Randall, Ohio
- Phone number: 216-662-8600
- Hours of operation: 24/7
- Gaming available: Video lottery terminals, live and simulcast horse racing
of Gold Coins for $10
Ohio Casinos in the News
The casino at JACK Thistledown Racino
The casino at JACK Thistledown Racino is one of the two Ohio gambling venues that JACK Entertainment operates. JACK Thistledown’s gambling space houses almost 1,500 video lottery terminals. However, the casino doesn’t offer any poker or other table games at the moment. While the main gambling floor is smoke-free, the venue recently opened a 12,000-square-foot outdoor smoking patio with 250 VLTs and a 10-seat bar.
JACK Thistledown Racino regularly offers gambling promotions and prize draws to customers. In addition, regular customers can also participate in the ClubJACK loyalty program, which lets them collect points for their real money play and claim prizes.
The casino at JACK Thistledown Racino focuses exclusively on VLTs. The terminals include both classic and more modern titles. Players can expect to find games with advanced special features, multiple bonus rounds, free spins, and jackpots.
The games come in an array of denominations, so patrons with various budgets can join the action. Here are some of the most popular titles available at the casino:
- Dragon Link — This game series is one of the most popular Aristocrat games. Play Golden Century, Happy & Prosperous, Panda Magic, or Autumn Moon and experience distinct themes and features while also opting in for a chance to win a massive linked progressive jackpot.
- River Dragons — This Asian-themed slot has a distinct game grid that can spread to up to eight rows. In addition to the standard game symbols, it also utilizes scatters and wilds that trigger free spins and special features. The PowerXSteam feature can multiply line wins several times.
- Dancing Drums Explosion — The standard five-by-three game grid this title works on provides up to 32,768 ways to win. Special symbols can bring you two different free spins rounds. What’s more, any spin gives you a chance to win one of the slot’s four progressive jackpots of up to 250,000 coins.
The casino at JACK Thistledown Racino is not permitted to offer table games under state law.
JACK Thistledown Racino poker room
JACK Thistledown Racino does not offer poker, as the game is not allowed under state regulations.
Racing at Jack Thistledown Racino
The racetrack at JACK Thistledown Racino first opened in 1931, meaning it now boasts more than 90 years of history. It currently hosts thoroughbred racing under the Ohio 7/7 program, which includes live races at JACK Thistledown and Belterra Park.
The racetrack operates between April and January each year. The most popular of the events it hosts is a graded stakes race called the Ohio Derby — the only one of its kind in the Buckeye State.
ClubJACK rewards program
Patrons of JACK Thistledown Racino can join the ClubJACK loyalty program. Playing will bring players tier points, allowing them to progress through the following VIP levels:
- Join the Party — 0 to 9,999 points
- About to Get Epic — 10,000 to 99,999 points
- Closing Time? Never. — 100,000 to 299,999 points
- Kiss for Good Luck — 300,000 points and more
These levels offer customers specific rewards, including free play, special monthly offers, discounts, VIP hosts, and even complimentary trips to destinations like Las Vegas and the Caribbean.
Will JACK Thistledown Racino operate a sportsbook?
Legal sports betting is on the way in Ohio. The state Senate and House voted to allow sports betting in the state with the passage of HB 29 in December 2021. Once launch occurs sometime between now and January 2023, JACK Thistledown should be one of the locations in the state with a physical sportsbook onsite.
More Ohio casinos
Jack Thistledown Racino history and ownership
During more than 90 years since it opened, JACK Thistledown Racino has changed hands several times. Up until 2010, Magna Entertainment owned and operated the facility. However, the company experienced significant revenue losses from 2004 to 2007, after which it had to file for bankruptcy.
These events led to the racetrack being sold to Harrah’s Entertainment (currently known as Caesars Entertainment) in 2010. In 2012, the $43 million purchase quickly turned into a business partnership between Caesars Entertainment and Rock Gaming, leading to an expansion of the premises.
The $88 million venture resulted in the addition of 57,000 square feet of gambling space with more than 1,100 VLTs, as well as a few bars and restaurants.
At the beginning of 2015, Rock Gaming bought Caesars Entertainment’s share of the business. In 2016, it rebranded as JACK Entertainment, which led to the property’s current name — JACK Thistledown Racino.
The year 2020 brought another significant change for the racino, as Vici Properties acquired Thistledown for a price of $843 million. The management didn’t change, though, as JACK Entertainment kept operating the business in exchange for $66 million yearly rent paid to the new owner.